Friday, October 23, 2015

A Shout Out to the Reader

Hello everyone who is reading this blog.

I put this up to get some thoughts out of  my system for the election we just had, but this blogging tool has some interesting features, and I am surprised and flattered to see that this got 135 page views. (Hey, this isn't the Globe and Mail. Or even the Calgary Sun!)

Equally surprising is the geographical distribution. 76 views in Canada (no surprise), 41 from the US (hey, my relatives and friends are reading from abroad, cool!), 1 from Suisse (I'm guessing that's Michael - Servus!). But then I get a little confused. Who do I know in Portugal? Singapore? France?

Russia? 5 views from Russia? (C'mon, the FRS can't be interested in this - are they even called that anymore?) Spasibo!

So thank you all for reading! I do plan to write some more, but one thing I have noticed that disappoints me a little is a lack of comments. The posts address some fundamental civics and economics topics - but they are woefully simplified. That was a deliberate choice, first because I was not trying to answer questions so much as provoke them. (Yep, political trolling) The second, less obvious (I hope) choice was to mask my own ignorance. I think of myself as a widely read person, but no one in the era can know or read everything. By trolling a bit to get people thinking, I also hoped to get people talking or writing. We won't all agree (that's a good thing) but if we are respectful, we can often hammer a lot of nonsense out of the way in our forge of debate.

So I encourage comments. I'd love to hear from you. I'm not under the illusion that I'm right about everything (just most things).

...and thanks once more for reading.

Coming Soon: A look at poverty and criminal conviction from an economic view point.

No comments: